This former burial ground is now a park featuring tall trees, pathways, children’s play areas and a historic bell tower.
The first written records of the Kalamaja Cemetery date back to 1561, during the Livonian War, when 2,000 Swedish soldiers were buried here. In the 18th century, the cemetery served as the burial place for the Holy Ghost Church and Swedish St. Michael’s Church congregations. The gate tower, added in 1780, is still in place today. The cemetery was closed at the beginning of 1950 and redesigned into a park in 1964. Since 1993 the park has been a nature protection area.